partners from the Netherlands
€ 12.5 M
funding from NWO
BBMRI.nl aims to maximize the use of biosamples, images and data for health research on the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of disease in The Netherlands. In order to do so, BBMRI.nl provides: 1) access to biosamples, images and data, 2) tools to capture, integrate and analyse data, and 3) support on ethical, legal and societal implications. This is done with active participation of donors, citizens and patientsBBMRI.nl ensures that all developed resources are available in a Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable (FAIR) way.
BBMRI.nl is the Dutch National Node of BBMRI-ERIC: a European research infrastructure for biobanking that brings together the main players of the biobanking field - researchers, biobankers, industry, and patients - to boost biomedical research.
Visit the BBMRI.nl website for more information.
Ensuring operational excellence and providing data expertise
Six integrative Work Packages within BBMRI.nl each serve one or more parts of the strategy. Lygature was appointed to lead WP1 and to contribute to three, namely WP4, WP5 and WP6.
On behalf of Lygature, Tieneke Schaaij-Visser represents one of the WP-leaders managing the organisation, finances, communication, and collaborative activities within WP1 for BBMRI.nl. Lygature was granted this responsibility because of its experience with complex projects and its proven ability to manage the broader requirements of research, ranging from communications to legal issues. Lygature takes action in the following areas within BBMRI.nl:
- Program management. Lygature handles day-to-day operations including administrative and financial roles. It is responsible for all communications, and assists the SEC in coordinating, managing and monitoring the program on a day-to-day basis.
- Enabler of the biobank infrastructure. Lygature brings together the experts who build and implement the Dutch National Biobank Infrastructure. Aligning these processes allows for linkage of biobanks and clinical registries with the aim to promote secondary use of available samples and data for scientific research. Optimized tools are the request portal Podium and the Catalogue for sample and data collections.
- IT Infrastructure, support and access. Expertise acquired during the TraIT project has been pivotal in addressing data management, using proven solutions for multi-site data sharing and analysis.
- Facilitation of the Patient and Public Advisory Council (PPAC; Maatschappelijke Adviesraad Biobankonderzoek). The PPAC ensures the roles, interests, concerns and needs of patients and the pubic in biobank research and advices regarding its ethical and public aspects. Lygature actively enables the work of the PPAC by organizing its meetings, providing secretarial services, and promoting its work.
- Communications. Lygature disseminates information to internal project partners and externally - to the wider research community and general public. This includes maintenance of and posting on the project website, creating and mailing of newsletters and overall PR. Regular meetings with all WP leaders help to ensure the proper coordination of the project and that Lygature communicates efficiently in order to address emerging issues.
- Health-RI. Health-RI is the Dutch national initiative aiming to facilitate and stimulate an integrated health data infrastructure accessible for researchers, citizens and care providers. BBMRI.nl is one of its initiators, and Lygature is participating in its development.
Lygature’s role within BBMRI-NL demonstrates the wide range of different skills on offer to academics and commercial organizations. The project demands expertise in operational management, data management, regulatory issues, societal engagement, finance, and science. Importantly, Lygature is also playing an active ongoing role in promoting further improvements of research infrastructure.
Lygature together with
Amsterdam UMC, Erasmus Medical Center, Leiden University Medical Center, Maastricht University Medical Center+, Radboud University Medical Center, University Medical Center Utrecht, University Medical Center Groningen , Netherlands Cancer Institute, VU University Amsterdam, Lygature, Parelsnoer, PALGA, Netherlands Heart Institute, SURFsara, Dutch Techcentre for Life Sciences, Legal Pathways, The Hyve
BBMRI.nl interview series
In order to showcase the variety of work in BBMRI.nl, we dedicate special news items to BBMRI.nl investigators. We ask them about their work for BBMRI.nl. What excites and challenges them the most, especially during the present COVID-19 pandemic? And how do they see the future for our activities?
You can read the interview series here.
BBMRI.nl celebrates 10 years of its existence
10 years ago BBMRI.nl started building the joint national infrastructure necessary to make maximal use of biosamples, images and data for health research.
Apart from managing the program, Lygature actively facilitates the work of the Patient and Public Advisory Council (Maatschappelijke adviesraad Biobankonderzoek) for BBMRI-nl through organizing the Councils meeting, providing all secretarial services (including writing abstracts, posters or papers about the outcomes) and promoting the work of the Council.
To maximise the use of biosamples, images and data, program managers at Lygature, in collaboration with BBMRI.nl partners, have developed and are actively promoting the use of Podium - the one-stop shop that facilitates request workflows both for the researcher and the organisation providing this data.
Finally, Lygature provides support for the Helpdesk and IT services that BBMRI.nl has developed.
Living happily with a hip replacement or not?
Why can some people happily live their lives with an artificial hip for a very long time and others cannot? To help finding the answer to these kind of questions, BBMRI-NL can help. For instance, for questions about artificial hip replacements, by linking the database of orthopedics with other databases. Combining several sorts of information will bring new insights. Combining data from different sources requires a single, interconnected data infrastructure that is secure, reliable and efficient. And that is where Health-RI comes in.